BecomingAnja van Kralingen
The Way ForwardIn the aesthetic tradition beauty is the highest value and this is a useful metaphor for our goal of individuation. The idea of beauty is sufficiently ambiguous to allow you to pursue it without being closed down by a set a values which are not appropriate for you. The idea being that you set out to live a life that values the beauty it creates and becomes. Naturally we are not talking here about the youth obsessed, body beautiful, materialistic beauty of the modern media machine. Rather we mean the beauty of the soul, of your soul, for you to live a life which expresses to the world that inner beauty. However don’t get confused and read that in a moralistic sense, the beauty must be yours whatsoever that might be, the idea is for you to express your inner beauty, not what anyone else deems as beautiful. Identify that beauty and follow it as the proverbial red thread through the labyrinth of life. I list below eight ways you can identify the thread. But bear in mind this list is arbitrary a creation of my mind, the key is to create your own list, and only use mine as a model to inspire yours.
- Truth; find your truth, or as Shakespeare said be true to yourself and you will lie to no man.
- Beauty; what is it in yourself and in the world around you you most admire, you find most attractive, most beautiful, let this be your guide. What kind of life would be a true expression of the beauty you bring to the world?
- Authenticity; break the shackles of the collective values that restrain you and become who you were born to be, not in the sense of being an anarchist unless that is truly your destiny in which case so be it, but rather in the sense of one who is so much him or herself that your are truly unique and cannot be compared with anyone but yourself. Add something new to the world which is who you are, rather than wearing down the moulds of who everyone else is through creating just another copy.
- Love; what do you love, who do you love, how do you or how can you express your love in the world.
- Community; this is an important one, the truth is being in the world is very much about being with others; paradoxically I need you to find my way. The people, the community you place yourself in will play a very significant role in who you become. Choose your community well, spend time with people you care for and very importantly who care for you. Life is too short to spend it in bad company.
- Self-actualisation; is what you are doing and where you are going actualising who you are or are you just passing the time? Carpe diem my friend carpe diem, time is precious don’t waste it on trivialities, unless you wish trivialities to be your legacy.
- Your Future Self; there is a theory or possibly more than a theory, (I am not sufficiently knowledgeable in the subject to speak with real authority), nevertheless in micro physics which states that causation doesn’t only run from past to future, but also runs backwards from the future. So the idea here is to be aware of what that the future self echoes back at you from that future. It’s helpful to think of it this way, the future self leaves markers along the path to your future, if you follow these you become that future, if not you become something else. So imagine the future self you most want to become and then look for the markers that that future self sends back in time for you to follow.One of the best markers of this kind is dreams, pay attention to your dream life; it is a map of your future which exists outside of normal space-time. But it only reveals itself to those who pay careful attention to it.
- The future of your community; following the logic of point 7 (your future self), you can think about your community in the same way, what actions do you need to take today in order to reach your imagined future for your community. What clues can you find to the choices you need to make today, sent back by that future state?